Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I've got a faint idea so far what's the upcoming surgical OSCE is going to be about. I'm kinda confident about the abodminal and vascular examination parts, not so much the rest. Not so much for the Path test as well coming up two days after it. Acck. Hopefully they'll put out more information soon.

Was asked to put in a line into Mr K today by my hs but after looking up and down his left forearm and seeing two little puncture holes, and feeling here and there, and not finding any real veins that I can confidently (or even semi-confidently) access, I gave up and gave the task back to the hs. He felt here and there and then kinda felt one and jabbed it in and got it. Sigh. I'll give myself a fair chance next time, more credit and so on, and shall jab it even if I'm not terribly confident. I need and want practice desperately. I really really want to do a sigmoidoscopy too!!!

Borrowed Kumar and Clark today from the library and took ages to lug that darn heavy bulky thing home. Along with my music folder which makes things even harder. As I checked it out, I thought to myself would my parcel arrive today? And when I got back, right in front of my room door, was my parcel. Yay!! Goodies. And dang, why did I get that book out now that I've my own??!! Lol!

Did my last ED shift on Monday. Had this really nice icelandic registrar supervising. Lol. What supervising. I'm more like haunting that anything. Interviewed a lady who came in with an allergic reaction. No idea what it is though. Nothing that jumped out in the history at all. Also saw this lady of 65 who was attempting suicide by slicing her wrist horizontally. She obviously bled lots. Her hair was matted with her blood and so was the bed she was on. She was given 3 units of blood and lots of saline just to keep her going. The plastics surgeon came in and his registrar took off the bandages on her wrist. I must say she did a really really good job. It looked practically minced, mutilated, red, bloody all over, and I SWEAR something bone-looking could be seen from where I was, on the opposite side of the bed where the cut wrist was. Mr Plastics said can you move your fingers. Pathetic little wriggle on her index and middle fingers. Last two stayed flexed. And to my horror I saw a little small lump of ... unidentifiable tissue.... gave the tiny-est of wriggle on the cut surface of her wrist. Eeeaccck.... As soon as my own registrar walked out I quickly followed. The post-mortem session was bloody, but what does it matter when the body is already dead and unfeeling and cold? This is bloody, but she was alive, and I can't imagine how determined someone can be to be able to slice repeatedly to deliver that much damage to her wrist. Deep down I've admiration for her resolution, though I wish her resolution had been channelled into something else. That or cut it properly so that she wouldn't have to survive with a hand that would be practically half-useless from now on. Funniest thing was my registrar had to go into the room later again to consent her for the bloods that she already had. Do you agree to have the bloods that we transfused you with madame? No I don't. Get it out of me. I wonder what's the point even.

The old Chinese lady with the gastric cancer that I saw in Mr Utley's OP is back in again. I saw her in ED on Monday as well as I was about to start my shift. She's been put under the surgical team on call. I wonder if I should visit her?

No comments: