Sunday, December 17, 2006

More driving today. For some reason or other, the lump of gray noodles up there set the alarm at all the odd times of the morning. Think 5am, and 7.15am, when I only needed to wake up at 8am. Grraah... the black grapes are threatening to take up residence under my eyes!

Anyways, did some driving at the hospital carpark again. Actually, not much. More like a few runs and stops to make sure I can start off smoothly (more or less) without causing th ecar to buck or *gasp* stall. Then it was out onto the road for a few runs around the block.

Since I've been told to 'visualise and run through the steps in (my) head', here it goes:

  • Sit properly in the driver's seat, and adjust. Strap myself in, or face a lesson in flying out the windscreen the next time the car stalls suddenly (which nearly happened yesterday -_-"' and no one noticed my not wearing the belt... *shock*!!).
  • If the engine is running, forget about turning the key. If you've stalled, start from ground zero and turn it! Press the clutch (darn, it's manual!), first gear, release handbrake, press accelerator and release clutch to move. Not too fast, or the big piece of metal will play horsie or even dead.
  • Total clutch release, and move a little before changing to gears de secundo and above. I should have told you earlier, this is brain-draining work. Unless you're another of those zombie drivers that populate this earth then you'll find it all easy-peasy.
  • Press brake first before the clutch for a smoother stop, and so that Parrotsai's stomach doesn't do the flip-flopeys and Nana doesn't go into cardiac arrest.
  • If the gear wouldn't go into R, then make it go into third gear first and try R again.
  • Don't DON'T DON'T turn around the bend too quickly!!! You'll or I will at least, not make it in time one day and smoosh myself into smithereens against something.
  • Change my gear to third gear (if it's a clear and less busy road) before going around the bend, and lower if there are lots of cars and lots of skittles running around. *But why can't we knock the skittles down, Nanny? Isn't that the point of skittles??*
  • When stopping the car, do as for the smooth stop. Free the gear and lift the handbrake, and pass it onto Nanny.
  • Fourth gear when you reach 40km/hr please.

That's all I can remember for now. Parrotsai did some work on parking, but for most of that time I was awol so I've not much idea as to what happened then. I can tell you that the backseat of a Kancil is NOT nice to nap in, unless you're an extremely lacking in the height department.

GwahaRhaHAr... and I drove all the way home from practice today. Which all together Nanny said wasn't too bad. Hmm... doubt it still. But this much is apparent from my observations, even a noob will realise that the road on this GFS island is litter-ed with drivers who are older than I am (and therefore should be better at their driving!) and not much better than me at driving. *expletives* to the guy who nearly drove me into a wall and hence got me a scolding, *expletives and a honk* to the guy who honked at me and then drove ahead and then decided to stop right in front of me -_-"'.

And that's my day's worth of driving. Whew! ^_^

No comments: