Tuesday, October 31, 2006



These are some of the little bits and pieces that come into my inbox occasionally. I can't remember how they got into my inbox in the first place, but I've this feeling that it's probably a relic from my last visit to Tzi Chi with mum. Personally, I've nothing against organized religion. It's great that each and everyone out there have something that they can believe or find comfort in. I just don't wish to subscribe to any of the ones out there at the moment. Pardon me if I say that not everyone fits into a mould, and also I believe that it's possible to live by one own's rules and lead a... largely virtuous (I dare not say wholly virtuous simply because I don't believe that humans are capable of doing as such, anyone who says otherwise needs to open their eyes a little more) life as well. And yes, I've decided at last to stop going to W now, simply because I don't believe, and I think I should stop giving people hope and to stop being such a pretender. So there. And I chanced upon a few sites yesterday, and yes, Buddhism can be considered more of a way of life rather than a religion (but dare you say that when one of the Rukun specifically implies that you MUST have a religion...) and also some other stuff on Ramadan that I found rather interesting and educational. I still do admire their discipline in undertaking such a feat!

But that's not the point of this post. I'm more interested in the two pictures above this time. The first I agree whole-heartedly. I do think it would be smashing to be able to live a totally carefree life, where I can play all day and not have to worry about all the other mundane things in life. But then that would defeat the purpose of living. Achieving happiness is the goal of each and every person's life (if your goal is otherwise, let me know. I would dearly love to meet you.) but then if we pass every moment just being carefree, after a while, would it still seem as carefree? One would get used to it, and then it'll just be reduced to being normal. So with responsibilities, we do get stress and worries and what nots, but at least when it comes at last the time to shake off the burden, we would appreciate what it's like to be happy.

The second one however, I find a bit odd. True, if we brushed off every 'careless remark' (note the use of ' ') uttered by others simply because yes, I find it hurtful, and he/ she can't be that cruel to mean to hurt me, so I shouldn't take it too seriously and smile in response, then yes, we would probably not feel upset at all everytime such a thing happens. But then is that actually possible? And assuming it's possible, think again of the remark... “in the mind, as in physical nature around us, nothing happens by chance, or in a random way” [Charles Brenner, M.D.]. It could be a Freudian slip of the tongue perchance? A Freudian slip, or parapraxia, is an error in human action, speech or memory (unintentional acts) that is believed to be caused by the unconscious mind. So what if the remark is unintentional? It reflects what is in the subconcious mind of the person uttering it. Sure, it wouldn't matter for some things, like wether at the back of Person X's mind you're a d***head (if you're the sort of person who just doesn't care what other people think of you, that is), but what if it was something more serious? What if when one declares his/her utmost obedience, loyalty and blah blah de blah to you, he/she by accident utters someone else's name instead? Are you just playing substitute (in which case you should be worried!) or was it truly an innocent slip (if it can be innocent in the first place that is) and you're making a mountain out of a molehill? .... yes, life might be easier if one lived in a Harry Potter like world, where mind-reading can be possible at times (or so I like to believe)...

And here ends my nonsensical rambling for the day. Too-de-loo!

No comments: