Sunday, June 24, 2007

Just got back from Gisborne. Spent the last week in Tokomaru Bay actually for ECC and right now, just two days away from it, I'm starting to miss it. The people there are friendly in the way people in rural areas tend to be, the weather warm, the landscape stunning with a nice blue sea and towering mountains behind. Most of all is Kumeroa's cooking as well.

Skipped the powhiri in Gisborne and had a combined one with group A at their marae (Pakirikiri), which was just down the road from my group's at Waiparapara. Dinner for that first night was at Pakirikiri. With it being a Saturday and all, the rest of my group trotted down to the local sports club where we were hanging out earlier in between the time after the powhiri and teatime. I chose to stay home and that was when I met Kumeroa who would be our chef for the whole week, caretaker and later, choreographer and 'songmaster'. Lol. As she puts it, the 'jack of all trades'.

We didn't manage to go horseriding or fishing as was on the timetable due to the weather and on Sunday, went down to the sports club again and had a match against Pakirikiri in darts and pool. So yes, I now know how to play both. Despite having this big noob on the team, we only lost by one point. :P *ahem, I know what you are thinking, but don't you say a word*

The following days were more of what we were there for, visiting local clinics and primary schools, kohangas, a hospital some way out of town (which was tiny and ill equipped) and the old citizens centre where we had to interview the teachers, the policeman (yes, he serves this and a couple other areas... him and only him alone!!), a locum (the doctor comes in three days a week from 10 to 2 at the clinic), the old people staying at the centre, the people manning the mobile surgery unit (visits the hospital twice a year, and everyone who needs stuff done will have to travel up there, and this includes dental care) and interact with the kids. Everything is more or less ok, except interacting with the babies and primary school kids, which was really awkward. I don't think the young ones liked me much either lol.

And I think I've more or less reduced my dislike for seafood. Not so far as to say that I like it though, and that's only fish and crayfish (and a couple of others) that I'm talking about (the rest still comes under seamonstrosities :P). That bay I was posted to was rich. Our group got fed crayfish twice that week, the last being a very positive meal *grin*. With it's incredibly warm weather, mandarins, oranges and other citrus fruits grew aplenty there too. I was told pineapple, papaya, mangoes and lots of other varities of fruits that were more tropical than anything else could be grown there. As soon as I have a chance to escape the south island, I promise myself that I shall.

Last day was spent at a marae at Gisborne. Our group sat our assessment there as well. All was ok, until it got to the last question where the examiner started off with this joke: There were two horses in the paddock when a dog came running up toward them. The first horse asked the second 'Darn, here comes that annoying dog again. What are you going to say to the dog?' The second horse said 'I think I shall bark.' 'Darn,' said the firs horse, 'that's exactly what I was planning to say!'. And I was second to last to answer as well. Just as well I had one answer left that wasn't covered by the others lol.

The concert was later in the afternoon. It was interesting, with some groups putting on a really good show. I think my group did the best, but then I might be slightly biased of course. We did a kapa haka, an item involving poi (the audience loved them guys :P) and an action-song which was taught to us by the kids at one of the primary schools back at the bay. Will post up the lyrics slightly later, but it's a song which is more or less representative of the people in that area.

Overnight at the marae, and the next day we were kicked out onto the street. Lol. A bunch of us ended up at the Flying Nun backpackers lodge for that night. My legs are currently a little sore from having walked quite a bit around Gisborne... city (claimed puppy, but by global standards, that should stay a town I insist!!), and having to run as well from one end of the airport to another at Auckland to catch the flight down to Chch. The flight out of Gisborne arrived 6.15, whereas boarding time was 6.10. Whew! Just as well the stewardess had warned the groundstaff of the late arrival beforehand! Though come to think of it, I don't think I would mind overnighting in Auckland :P, with it being so warm and all (12 as opposed to Chch's 3)!

No comments: