Thursday, September 14, 2006

Today's Integrative Day topic was Bulimia. The guest speaker they invited today gave rather conflicting ideas. X said it wasn't about weight, but then before that she talked about how in the hospital, the reward-punishment system they used was rather ineffective for her as it 'advertised' how much weight she would have put on since admission. I'm confused alright. The main message I got today though was to treat all patients as individuals. She was saying how put off she was when her nurse said to her something along the lines of "I know how to treat you, I've read all the relevant textbooks". Someone could sure use a couple of Communication tutorials...

There was a plenary session afterwards, and it was a rather boring one. I can't believe how computer-illiterate my lecturers are. *Just click the damn Restart Later button for heaven's sake!* After much ado, the lecturers got onto talking about their slides in turns. The psychiatrist guy seemed really bored throughout most of that hour and somehow his looks were so... funny? Maybe it's his thinning hair... maybe it's his medieval moustache-beard combo... but I just couldn't resist drawing this sketch of him. And then it clicked. He looked just like one of those old textbook pictures of King Henry VIII.

And here's a picture of the old bugger for you to compare. I've no idea if he suffers from male pattern baldness of course. LOL! Perhaps if he puts on a little more weight, then I think they would look all the more alike.

Wait, I did pay attention during the session though. There was this question directed at our ethicist for the day - "Why is it ok to force feed an anorexic but not starve obese people or force them to lose weight?". That stumped the guy. He shrugged and then said that he thought that it might be the way we've been 'taught' or trained to think that starving someone is wrong and so on... not very convincing. I wonder though, why bother forcing the obese guy to lose weight? He's not gonna die anytime soon from his obesity. By soon, I mean as in almost immediately. The anorexic could die anytime soon. I've heard of people dying of anorexia before, and seeing pictures of anorexics is enough to make me want to force feed them too!

Choir practice again today. My afternoon practice at the Practice Room turned out to be for naught. But then again I rather sing, but I wish they would put me back into my original group. I can't be held accountable for whatever my voice does during it's attempt to hit those high notes... *cringe* And cough isn't getting much better. Singing does irritate it somewhat... where's that bottle of codein when you want it??

No comments: